Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Family Upstairs

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell

I have come to be a fan of Lisa Jewell after reading her books Watching You and Then She Was Gone. She is a wonderful storyteller and can write a great thriller.

I was thrilled (no pun intended) to read her newest book The Family Upstairs but I've got to say that although I liked the story, I was a tad underwhelmed overall.

The story was told from three different perspectives, and from the beginning seemed very disjointed. The three plot lines didn't really merge until late into the book, and I found myself wondering where the story was headed for several hours. It all did end up coming together in the end, but by the time it did, I can't say that I was entirely surprised or caught off guard by any of the "plot twists."

I did think that the story itself was rather unique and not your typical domestic drama about some tragic nuclear family with issues. The complexity of the "family" in this case made for a different type of narrative that I quite enjoyed.

Overall, this wasn't my favorite novel by Lisa Jewell but I'll continue to read her work going forward because she is a wonderful storyteller.

-I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Lisa Jewell, and Atria Books for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Upstairs.

June 17, 2019 – Shelved