booklady's Reviews > A Town Like Alice

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

Jul 29, 2008

bookshelves: 2005, historical-fiction, war, travel
Recommended to booklady by: my dear sister, Patti
Read in July, 2005

A very unassuming looking little book which is absolutely charming. I would give it five stars for effect because it will stay with you a long, long time. However, the writing, strictly speaking, leaves something to be desired. But that aside, it is story not to be missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Town Like Alice.

04/10/2016 marked as: read

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Did you ever see the BBC mini-series? It was on "Masterpiece Theatre" years ago. I loved it! I've always wanted to read the book.

booklady Yes, I did see the mini-series. They changed the book a bit--tightened up the storyline and added some drama. In some ways made it a little better, but in other respects, I preferred the book.

message 3: by CLM (new) - rated it 5 stars

CLM I thought it was a very good adaptation. It reminded me of an A&E series called Tenko which I found fascinating although I never caught every episode.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer I LOVED "Tenko"!! I even have a paperback novelization of some of the episodes. I keep looking for it on DVD so I can watch it again, but, alas, no...

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Booklady, if you like A Town Like Alice you might also like The Ordeal of Elizabeth Vaughan: a Wartime Diary of the Philippines by Elizabeth Vaughan. I read it years ago and found it very interesting.

booklady Thanks ladies! That's two more I need to check out!

message 7: by CLM (new) - rated it 5 stars

CLM Several years ago I bought all the episodes on VHS from a lady who was downsizing, but it coincided with my beginning law school so I have still not watched them all. I remember seeing the first episode on TV (and being riveted) but it was in the days before the Internet and there was no way to find out anything about it. The subsequent episodes were not shown in any particular order or at any predictable time. I was amazed later to find out there were other viewers equally fascinated. Krista, is it worth my hunting down the novelization?

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer To be honest, it's been so long since I read it that I can't remember any particulars. I imagine that the novelization just recorded the action and the dialogue, which is what novelizations of TV programs and movies do, without adding any extra descriptive material. I usually find such novelizations to be unsatisfying as far as adding any further description or insight into characters or situations. As I recall, I also bought the book when I was in London. I don't think it was even available here in the U.S. So, probably, no, it wouldn't be worth hunting down, unless you're really curious and can buy a copy easily or can get it via interlibrary loan.

Looking at WorldCat, I find Tenko: a Novel by Anthony Masters (Chivers Press, 1983), and several libraries in the US own it in large print. I also see that there's a novelization of the sequel "Tenko Reunion" (did you see that?). It's called Tenko Reunion: a Novel by Anne Valery, but there's only 2 libraries in the US that have it. So you might have a chance getting the first one via ILL.

Lucky you, to have the episodes on VHS!

booklady Is "Tenko" that series about the British women in a Japanese POW camp? If so, I saw a number of episodes when I lived in GB and have always wanted to get the entire series. It was awesome!

Terri I havent seen the movie, but I really enjoyd the book.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Yes, Booklady, that's the series. Very dramatic!

booklady Thanks Krista! Did you like the book Terri?

Terri I LOVED the book. It was a comfort read