Luisa Rivas's Reviews > One Year Home

One Year Home by Marie Force

I wasn’t sure what to expect with Five Years Gone’s sequel but I was fascinated! I loved Five Years Gone and I always felt that poor John shouldn’t have ended alone and shattered like he did. He was a hero, he loved Ava so completely and lived for her all the time he was away. He definitely deserved his own HEA and his story was fantastic!

The beginning of the story shows a morose and depressed John West. Never mind he’s a hero, everyone wants to know him and thank him for the huge service he did to the world. He wants nothing of the action, he just wants to go somewhere to be alone; and yet he knows he’s in a dangerous emotional state and needs to snap out of it. Except, how can he when he lost his two best friends and his leg in the raid where his team killed the world’s worst terrorist, and he also lost the love of his life, Ava?

In the huge public relations mess he’s in, enter Julianne, Ava’s new sister-in-law, to the rescue. She may look proper and prim, like a Mary Poppins lookalike, but she’s feisty and brave. She faced John West surliness with snark and snapped him out of his depression. It was a beauty so see! I loved their interactions and loved how he slowly but surely and with great reluctance, recovered his good temper and decided to be a nice guy. As he evolved into this laughing, good tempered guy, he changed from a seriously handsome guy into a dangerously handsome man. Poor Jules had no defense against all that hunkiness.

Marie Force wrote a story with a lot of heart and angst and humor. We live with these wonderful characters the evolvement of John into the wonderful guy he was before the tragedy, we see a Julianne who rose over her professional insecurity and rose as a PR star, and we suffer with Ava and Eric through their initial marriage woes. What happened to John and between John and Ava has deep repercussions to all four characters and it was great to see how the author handled it. I have to say, I wasn’t a fan of Eric in this book, I rather saw him as a whiney jerk. I loved Muncie, John’s helper during his recovery, and I laughed out loud at the scene with the retainer. This was one of those books that you read in one day because it’s so entertaining, full of wonderful characters, and had a love story that just enthralls you and makes you happy at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Year Home.

June 16, 2019 – Shelved