babyhippoface's Reviews > The Stranger

The Stranger by Chris Van Allsburg

282057
Feb 29, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, kids-picture-books

Great book to use in the classroom to teach inference. Teachers can have students guess the stranger's identity then go back through the book looking for supporting evidence. At first reading, they may think they have no idea who he is, but as they go back through they will spot the clues. This is the kind of book that I like to use in discussions because I like to see kids' faces change as the light bulbs go on in their heads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stranger.

Started Reading
February 29, 2012 – Shelved
February 29, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 29, 2012 – Shelved as: kids-picture-books
February 29, 2012 – Finished Reading

Luann Nice! I'm adding this to my list of "inference" books. Do you have any other titles you use?

babyhippoface There are two others I think are perfect for teaching inference. They're both by Jon Klassen (I've dubbed him "King of Inference"). His picture book I Want My Hat Back is one that sometimes even adults don't get unless they're paying attention, but it's hilarious with dark humor.

His other work I LOVE to use is from the book Half-Minute Horrors, a collection of creepy short stories edited by Susan Rich. Klassen's contribution is a one-page illustration called "The Legend of Alexandra and Rose". (Search for it on Google Images and it should appear near the top.) I love to use this one because it takes kids a few minutes to clue in, but when they do, I can always tell by their widening eyes and gasps. It cracks me up every time. (And yes, it's more dark--dark, dark--humor. But kids LOVE it.)

message 3: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I love Jon Klassen!

babyhippoface Karen wrote: "I love Jon Klassen!"

He's a clever one!

Payton Sumerall I did read this in school!!! :)

message 6: by babyhippoface (last edited Mar 11, 2015 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

babyhippoface :) It's an odd one!