Tiera McMillian's Reviews > The Night House

The Night House by J.C. McKenzie

bookshelves: june-2019

3.5-4 stars. This was a really intriguing read, with a real unique start. Magical apocalypse + aliens + BAMF FMC assassin.. I mean whats not to love about any of these things. I have to say that I'm really disappointed that this isn't a series starter.. It had everything there to set up for a series but then kind of abruptly wrapped everything up at the end. At the end I was really hoping to do some research and find that there are some other sequels or a saga or some companion novels but I haven't found anything yet. Maybe in the future?

We start with our FMC Taya, during a magical apocalypse. A portal has opened and a magical wave comes through and basically incinerates most of the population of earth. As Alien lords come through the portal to round up whoever is left for slavery Taya fights tooth and nail for survival. Attacking the Alien supply carts etc. During one raid everything goes wrong and Taya ends up captured with a choice. Slavery, or 1 year of training with her captor to become the Lord's right hand woman and assassin with the bonus that she will be killing other aliens from the other houses as necessary. Taya makes her choice and learns more and more about the humanoid race that came through the portal, she learns all about their culture and history. When more and more truth surfaces though Taya must end up choosing the life she has been fighting for or the life she has made.

Really rich world here with tons of potential and honestly I feel like we have just barely scratched the surface. I can't help but want to know more. I'm on the holding out side that this author is going to take this farther. Either way this book was really good and totally worth the read.

*I requested and recieved an ARC of this via NetGalley and the Publisher Backlit PR in exchange for an honest review.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night House.

June 16, 2019 – Started Reading