Jamie (ReadsInTrees) Dacyczyn's Reviews > The Returning

The Returning by Christine Hinwood

Feb 29, 2012

liked it
Read from February 29 to March 09, 2012

Mixed feelings on this book. It started out interesting (if a little confusing from jumping back and forth between characters), and I was sure it would all come together as something amazing. The chapter about the boy sitting with his dead dog was very sad and touching.

Alas, I had a hard time staying focused. I think the timeline of the book went to fast for me, and that made the out-of-the-blue "adult" context towards the end kind of jarring. The characters were children, and then a few chapters later the same characters were engaging in oral sex. Whoa, when did that happen? Now, I'm not a prude and not offended by sexual content.....It just seemed startling, especially if you missed the part about them being older now.

So anyway, the details in this book were certainly rich, and the writing style was unique. I'm still digesting this one, so I don't know whether or not to recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Returning.

02/29/2012 "I picked this book up from a library display and checked it out without reading the inside flap FOR THE SOLE REASON that Megan Whalen Turner was on the cover giving a recommendation. So far, three chapters in, I'm still unsure. The dialogue is very different, and I keep getting characters confused....but I also sense that it's all about to come together into something awesome."