Spencer Orey's Reviews > Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk

The most unintentionally metal title ever??

I really enjoyed this one. I found the main character (an old woman who's obsessed with astrology but is also a pretty bad astrologer) really lovable. I mostly loved her point of view and all her little quirks.

There's a good murder mystery here and a deep meditation about our relationship to animals and hunting. Sometimes in the novel, this is direct (conversations like who are we to kill animals or judge which ones deserve to live?) and sometimes it’s subtle (the main character is deeply uncomfortable with assigned names). I'm not sure we're left with any good answers. But it made me think! And even though the main character's views veer into extremes, she was always thoughtful and had something worth listening to.

I'm not well versed in William Blake but I thought this was a cool way to talk about and use Blake's poems and letters. And via Blake, it's a very memorable title. There are some fun passages about trying to translate Blake that seemed like a fun meta commentary on reading a book like this in translation (which overall I thought was a really good translation!).

It also made me realize that if you want to win some major prizes, go write yourself a fancy noir novel. People love fancy noir. I certainly do.

(Total aside: I checked this out from the library a week before the author won the Nobel prize! It was exciting to hear the news and see the book on my shelf)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead.

June 16, 2019 – Shelved
June 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 31, 2019 – Started Reading
November 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna This is certainly an original title! Glad you enjoyed it so much, Spencer.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Spencer, nice review - sounds fascinating.

message 3: by LostKnight (new) - added it

LostKnight Nice review.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ This sounds really interesting, and I hadn’t heard of it before. Thanks!

Kathleen Love your review for this unusual book!

Linda One thing that made me sad in your comment: old woman?!? She's supposed to be early 60s, I think 61. Oh dear, I feel ancient.

Spencer Orey Linda haha good point!! I think she was treated as being so old in the story that I totally forgot her actual age.