Tracy Murphy's Reviews > Dear Church: A Love Letter from a Black Preacher to the Whitest Denomination in the US

Dear Church by Lenny Duncan

“Dear Church, this book is a love letter to you. I know at times it hasn’t felt that way.” -Rev. Lenny Duncan. Dear Church: A Love Letter from a Black Preacher to the Whitest Denomination in the U.S. is coming out into the world real soon, so I wanted to take a few and let you all know some thoughts I had while reading it. To begin with: if you are white and you identify as a Christian or part of the Jesus movement in any way, I recommend this to you. Duncan’s voice is a strong invitation to accountability. Using modern language and up-to-date information and events, this is a narrative that will speak to the people who are willing to look at themselves in the mirror and break down what they thought they knew and what they yet to know. It was a humbling experience for me personally. I openly wept reading Duncan’s thoughts about fellow Lutheran Dylann Roof. I cried again through the chapter on Queer Church. Maybe this will sound dramatic, but in a way I think I mourned a bit, too. I pride myself on being “woke” and this book pulled me out of that comfort and made me evaluate that a whole lot. The epistolary style makes the book feel personal. And it is. The actions readers are challenged to by Duncan are not simply something *someone* should do, but we, the readers, should do. It’s not vague, it’s not polite, and it’s not exactly “nice.” This book calls us to the dangerous edge that the Church was originally called to; I see it as a fulfillment of Christian’s core values of radical love and justice. As Nadia Bolz-Weber says, “I dare you to read this book.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Church.

Finished Reading