Jen's Reviews > A Lethal Inheritance: A Mother Uncovers the Science behind Three Generations of Mental Illness

A Lethal Inheritance by Victoria Costello

Feb 29, 2012

bookshelves: bookprep-heart-house

Absolutely marvelous. A must read for parents regardless of whether you believe there is or is not mental illness in your ancestry. Learning about the intersection of genetics and environment is crucial for living in todays world. Whether your cause, your issue is mental health, learning disabilities, environmental safety, addiction, prenatal care, cancer prevention/treatment or a host of other things, this concept of G x E is crucial.

The memoir parts offer compelling evidence of the authors sincere motives in writing such a book. I really appreciated her honesty about both her personal life and the positive and negative issues of current mental health treatments. She plays no favorites, blames no singular entity, and makes no excuses.

The genealogy bit was probably my least favorite but that only means I liked it rather than I loved it. Those who enjoy genealogy and have a family history trail will like this section - a mini investigative drama snuck into a scientific memoir.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lethal Inheritance.

February 29, 2012 – Shelved
February 29, 2012 – Shelved as: bookprep-heart-house
March 3, 2012 – Started Reading
March 3, 2012 –
page 40
April 4, 2012 –
page 171
77.73% "Absolutely fascinating. The particular chapters I'm on have taken a turn into genealogy but in general I'm liking the scientific details of a compelling family tale."
April 6, 2012 – Finished Reading