Neer's Reviews > Greensea Island: A Mystery of the Essex Coast

Greensea Island by Victor Bridges

U 50x66

it was ok
bookshelves: 1920s, brit-lit, libraries, mysteries, pseudonyms, reads-19, vintage-mystery, connect-5-victor-bridges
Read 2 times. Last read June 16, 2019.

" The candle!" I stammered wildly. "Quick put it out!".....she groped her way to my side and began to unfasten the handkerchief...knotted across my mouth....

????????????????

The thing that left me perplexed while reading this book was as to how a gagged man could speak. And not incoherent sounds but full-fledged, extremely understandable sentences.

Much like the last book read by Bridges which also happened to be on the Essex coast, this too has an unscrupulous doctor who hears a patient rambling, the beginning in a ship, a few good friends, a treasure, and a beautiful heroine. The only thing different was that the heroine comes to the hero's rescue. I think I should be applauding that fact but am too tired of Bridges' perfect heroines.

First Line: I was leaning over the starboard railing, waiting for a boat, when Ross, the ship's doctor, came sauntering along the deck, puffing contentedly at a large Manilla cigar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greensea Island.

Finished Reading