peg's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Feb 28, 2012

bookshelves: fiction

After reading the first chapter of "Room," I reshelved the book because I wasn't sure that I could endure an entire book narrated by an unreliable,albeit precocious, 5-year old. HOWEVER,last week I decided to try to listen to the audio version of the book during my commute to and from work. I was hooked. I found myself taking the long way home so that I could extend my listening time and yesterday I gave up and brought it inside so that I could finish it. (I got a lot of knitting done :-D)

Donoghue's approach to her subject matter is brilliant. The heinousness of the crime committed in this story is brought to light when juxtaposed to the innocent optimism of its youngest victim,and what lies between the lines in the telling is even more striking.

I will definitly read more of Emma Donaghue's books.

Now off to find another well-done audiobook for my commute....any suggestions?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

Diane Peg, very funny because I had the exact same thought when I started reading Room. As you can see, I gave it 5 stars. Thought it was brilliant. I'm glad you liked it so much!

message 2: by peg (new) - rated it 4 stars

peg Diane D. wrote: "Peg, very funny because I had the exact same thought when I started reading Room. As you can see, I gave it 5 stars. Thought it was brilliant. I'm glad you liked it so much!"

Diane,I'm glad that I had the patience to finish the book,too. I thought that the narrative was going to be a little gimmicky in the beginning but soon realized how brilliant Donoghue's writing is. This is a book that is going to stay with me.