PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps 's Reviews > The Furies

The Furies by Katie Lowe

it was ok

***Thank you to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of THE FURIES by Katie Lowe in exchange for my honest review.***

A year after the death of her father and sister, Violet enrolls at an exclusive English girls’ school with a history dating back to witchcraft. Toxic friendships. Ancient rituals. Mythology. Magic. Supernatural? The power of suggestion?

THE FURIES has one of the best covers I’ve seen in recent memory. The cover alone should sell thousands of copies. That alone made me want to read the book. From the blurb I assumed the book was YA. The intro felt more like literary fiction. From chapter one on, I wasn’t certain what genre I was reading. I don’t believe books need to fall into specific categories, but classification sets my expectations. If I’m in the mood for a YA book, I usually don’t want to be ensconced in literary fiction. I’m not looking for a light humorous book when I read literary fiction. I know that other readers are less anal.

I had a hard time connecting to Violet. I wanted to know more about who she was before the accident, what her family was like etc. I wanted to feel some emotion in and about her and see some personality.

THE FURIES gave me neither for whom I could root or a plot/mystery I was engaged in enough to care about the conclusion. I didn’t feel much of a payoff. If THE FURIES wasn’t an ARC, I would not have finished.

I do think THE FURIES will have a niche of readers, perhaps even a larger group of fans, who will enjoy the book very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Furies.

June 15, 2019 – Started Reading
June 15, 2019 – Shelved
June 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jaidee (new) - added it

Jaidee I have netgalley copy and am really looking forward to this despite all the mixed reviews :)