Debra Cox's Reviews > My Life at Sweetbrier: A Life Changed by Horses

My Life at Sweetbrier by Deanie Humphrys-Dunne

Life is tough, sometimes. But, Deanie Humphrys-Dunne proves to readers in My Life at Sweetbrier, that if they persevere, anything is possible. The author encourages children to set goals and reach for their dreams, as one day they may even beat the odds, like she did. Diagnosed with cerebral palsy at the age of three, doctors were convinced that Deanie would never be able to walk. Deanie's Daddy refused to accept their opinion and shortly after, made the decision that changed Deanie's life, for good. He thought that learning to ride would help Deanie's legs get stronger so she could walk. Her determined father helped Deanie not only to learn how to ride and to walk, but to also follow her dream of becoming a champion horseback rider. Ultimately, it's Deanie's fighter spirit that makes her a winner.
The writing style is a little repetitive, but from a child's perspective the language is aimed accurately, and it flows well. The fact that the author is very honest and speaks to the reader like a friend, adds to the story's charm. I actually appreciated all the equine terminology, since I know nothing about horse riding. The old black and white photos capturing moments of Deanie's life, help the reader immerse into Sweetbrier, too.
I was moved by this inspirational true story. My motto is also, 'Never give up,' and now, I'm certain, it's definitely the right attitude to have in life. Children will be motivated to try their best, definitely recommending it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life at Sweetbrier.

June 15, 2019 – Shelved