Emily's Reviews > The Dark and Hollow Places

Feb 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: series, young-adult
Read from February 28 to March 01, 2012

I know I'm not that far into the book, but I have thoughts that need to be let out already.

First. I had the pleasure of meeting Carrie Ryan when this third installment first came out and she seemed like one of the sweetest people. Her enthusiasm for zombies is terrific and appreciated and I think she's a very nice woman.

I'm not trying to bash her writing style or anything, but our tastes don't seem to match up. Here's the thing: I like me some good dialogue. And this series is not too heavy with it. I get so excited when a conversation between character's arise but after two sentences of dialogue, I'm met with a page and a half of inner monologue. SO MUCH INNER MONOLOGUE. Yes, Annah, I get it. You have scars. You've been alone for a very long time. Trusting people is difficult. But the constant "Where's Elias? How does this Catcher guy know him? How can I trust him? What's this warm feeling I'm getting? Why's he so warm? My scars, my scars, my scars." Just enough. It's crystal clear. Ryan excels at digging deep into a character's innermost thoughts and letting her readers know everything about her female characters. Just from the first 30 pages, I know Annah's character to a T, which is great, but now I have the rest of the book to be reminded of that. And I don't need those reminders.

I just imagine Annah and Catcher facing each other, trying to have some kind of conversation, and Annah is just stone-faced, staring off into space, her brow twitching every so slightly as she tries to figure out the situation. She's asking all these questions in her head and it's taking up some precious "getting to know you" time. And Catcher continues to stand there, wondering why she's taking so long to talk and ask questions.

Phew. I feel a little better now. That said, I'm going to finish this book because I want to know how Ryan ends the series. But goodness, the inner monologue. Just not my cup of tea.

Okay. Now that I'm officially finished with it I can ramble on a little more about why this book bugs me.

But first, the positives. I was on the edge of my seat towards the end. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. Love the detail of the city and the zombies..just not the inner thoughts. But that's been discussed.

I think why this book bothers me is because of Annah's self-pitying character. I myself am full of self-pitying thoughts and I hate it. Reading a character, therefore, that has these same thoughts angers me. I don't want to be like her. I think it's really selfish. I'm not saying that's the case with everyone, but Annah's character really irked me at times and it's probably because I'm afraid that I'm like her. This is probably way too personal for a simple book review but it affects my opinion of the book. so take that for what it's worth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark and Hollow Places.

02/28/2012 page 67
18.0% 2 comments

message 1: by Elisa (new)

Elisa LOL