Melissa's Reviews > They Were Her Property: White Women as Slave Owners in the American South

They Were Her Property by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers

2319320

liked it

This one was a bit of a tough slog, mainly because it was repetitive. It could have been condensed quite a bit. You'd get a lot of anecdotes clearly showing the point the author was making, then paragraphs saying the same thing. One chapter (Wet nurses) could have easily been cut down to a section and added to the previous chapter. However, the book was well researched, the strength being in those anecdotes, actual stories that would take forever for you to find yourself if you were researching for evidence to back up the fact that white women before the Civil war weren't empty headed, naive, with delicate constitutions who were sheltered from the awful aspects of slavery because they couldn't handle it. I've never bought that, because really, how many women do you know now are delicate wilting flowers that just can't handle knowing what's going on? I've always thought that was a ridiculous attempt to downplay guilt with a reframing of their motives once their consciences were pricked and they didn't want to admit they were wrong. And this book pretty much proved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Were Her Property.

June 14, 2019 – Started Reading
June 14, 2019 – Shelved
June 14, 2019 –
page 69
21.56% "I'm not sure I can get this read within my 14 day limit. Maybe b/c I write fiction, but I want to be in characters' POV but I don't want to "live" inside the heads of the female slave owners or endure the slaves's life either....I feel as if I should power through b/c slaves had no choice but to live it, but ugh... the history is making me ill. Not b/c it's gory, but the mindset of owning people just makes me ill."
June 19, 2019 –