Lainy's Reviews > A Random Act of Kindness

Pages -400

Publisher - Avon

Source - Arc copy

Blurb from Goodreads

It only takes a moment, to change a life for ever…

Fern is too busy making sure other people feel good about themselves to give much thought to her own happiness. But somehow, without her noticing, life has run away from her.

Suddenly, Fern realises her vintage clothes business is struggling, and the casual relationship she’d always thought she was happy in doesn’t look so appealing.

But sometimes, karma really does come through. And when Fern goes out of her way to help 85-year-old Dinah, little does she realise their new friendship will change her life.

Dinah may have troubles in her past, but she’s lived and loved to the full. Can Dinah show Fern that even the smallest acts of kindness can make the world a better place?

If you liked Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine or How to Be Happy, you'll love A Random Act of Kindness.

My Review

I had never read this author before but I was drawn by the books title, who doesn't like a RAK (Random Act of Kindness). Fern is our main character, she is a bit of a wee chop, nice enough girl just trying to do her own thing and selling clothes she loves, vintage, to people and making them happy. Fern has always been a disappointment to her controlling mother, Fern is too short to be a model and using her fashion knowledge to grab bargains and sell them on her wee stall, embracing her love of all things fashion. Fern isn't about money she genuinely loves helping people and getting them into clothes just right for them. When her RAK brings her again into contact with 85 year old Dinah a friendship commences that will have big changes ahead for both of them.

I didn't think I was going to love this to be honest, each chapter starts with a garment being described and there is a lot centered around outfits, clothing, fashion. I am not into stuff like that but it is written in a way and woven into the story that I really enjoyed reading/visualizing the garments. Fern is selling her vintage clothes in a wee market stall, next to David, there is something about him that Fern can't help but notice. That said she has a casual boy friend type who plays in a band on the go and David happens to be with someone she was friends with. Drama all round, you have the actress neighbour, the mother we would all dread to have and all the daughterly hangups that come with it. The dad who takes a back seat and her eccentric friend she gains from a chance encounter.

I loved the older characters in this book, not her mum, Kim and his pals who don't make a huge appearance but when they do I did smile. The book tackles a few subjects, friendship, relationships (both boyfriend type and family) and Fern carving her own place in the world through her love of clothing and just trying to do Fern!

I would love to read more of these characters to be honest, it was nice to dip into a world I normally wouldn't be anywhere near. It also made me want to look into vintage garments and a bit more of the history of some of the biggest named designers, who even am I!?!?! Whilst this was my first dance with Jenkins it won't be my last, 4/5 for me this time. Easy reading

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Random Act of Kindness.

June 14, 2019 – Started Reading