Marta Cox's Reviews > Dorothy and the Glass Key

Dorothy and the Glass Key by Christopher J. Finn

bookshelves: my-reviews, netgalley

What can I say about this book that won't ruin it for others ? Well from the title I had imagined something perhaps inspired by the Wizard of Oz but actually it was far more twisted than that. This book is the story of Dorothy who is comatose and her rich benefactor takes her to a new clinic hoping that answers can be found there. He tells a story of how a very sad fourteen year old Dorothy found a mysterious key that transported her to a magical world where she found two other boys who like her sought escape and solace. His words are compelling yet fanciful as he describes the new friendships Dorothy forms both in these other dimensions and also back in reality. Yet nowhere is paradise, there's always dark to balance light and Dorothy might not really belong anywhere as an evil presence seeks it's own revenge on our world.
This went in directions I couldn't predict and had me questioning things as the retelling of Dorothys exploits unfolded. Yes Dorothy was transported to a world where something sought to exploit the children but there's a vivid sense that Dorothy is the reason everything is wrong. As much as I enjoyed her relationship with the other children she meets I thought the author did an excellent job of making those she keeps leaving behind feel real with emotions that felt heart warming . I couldn't help but be reminded of Peter Pan and his reactions to having a girl amongst his lost boys though as the evil took form and confronted Dorothy. There's no sexism here I hasten to only a unique twist on just why things are so different for Dorothy. The author unravelled a story that will stay with me and leaves me questioning what is real and what do we perceive to be metaphysical. This was entertaining and as a debut has so much to recommend it.
This voluntary take is of a copy I requested from Netgalley and my thoughts and comments are honest and I believe fair

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dorothy and the Glass Key.

June 14, 2019 – Shelved
June 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 21, 2019 – Started Reading
June 27, 2019 – Shelved as: my-reviews
June 27, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
June 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review Marta!😉💖

Marta Cox Thank you it was a very different and surprising book

Christopher Finn Thanks Marta! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
Love the review!

Marta Cox Thank you i really enjoyed this story and look forward to reading more from you