Jeann (Happy Indulgence) 's Reviews > Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

This is the book that the universe needed, thank you Casey McQuiston. Featuring a gay power couple, who also happens to be the Prince of Wales and the First Son of the USA, it features lots of flirtation, sexy moments and wit and banter.

It also features lots of social commentary about winning voters and what royals are expected to do (hide behind someone that they're not) for the sake of their position and inheritance. I LOVED how Alex's mum is the US president.

I lived for the email exchanges between Henry and Alex and their makeup sex after holding back for so long. Every time they met it was just filled with repressed sexual energy and so many hot moments.

Alex was such a fantastic character, being biracial and also learning that he's bisexual as he develops feelings for Henry via their fake friendship. He's just snarky and hilarious and leans so much on his squad, June, Nora and Zahra and they just form such an amazing, supportive cloud around Alex.

I also loved how Henry was literally so soft but his "resting bitch face" made Alex dislike him from the get go. There's so much misunderstandings between them, but after he befriended Henry for reals, it's clear they have SO MUCH chemistry between each other. Henry also suffers from anxiety, depression and grief which he learns to explore with Alex and there were several moments where he leaned on him after having panic attacks.

I can see this becoming an awesome TV series or sitcom, kind of like a Gossip Girl but super gay and diverse and just so much goodness? There's lots of scandal, secret service, US politics, social commentary, humour and snark and just so much goodness here that I just want more.

Check out Happy Indulgence Books for more reviews!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red, White & Royal Blue.

June 13, 2019 – Started Reading