C.G. Drews's Reviews > You Know Me Well

You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2019, young-adult

Just shout out to me for reading a book SET in Pride month actually during Pride month. 😌that's the kind of timing i could never plan, my friends, it only happens on accident. I am just that disorganised. Anyhow, my miraculous timing aside, this was basically the best thing and I am utterly soft for this book. Yessss the romance was a bit fast but like I shall fling all negativity into the sea and just dissolve myself into this book where people can just meet the perfect friend, the perfect girl, and fall so wholly for them that they just click into place. It made my antisocial heart happy. Aw.

This book, at its core, is actually about friendship. ngl I am softly crying my love for Kate and Violet and the ruin of Mark and Ryan. But the romance was the beginning, the heart was the friendships. When they break, when they grow, when you meet someone and fall-into-friendship-love with them. When you realise your childhood friend and you don't fit together anymore. When you fall in love with your best friend who doesn't love you back. It's an exploration on so many types of friendship and the aches and love that comes with it and THIS is important. THIS. Ok. Friendship is usually an integral part of being a teen and I think this book so well captures the heartache it can bring -- and also the unimanigable support it is to have someone at your side who knows you.

[pauses to feel passionately about this]

It is also, super queer. Am happy 🤗Mark and Kate both narrate. They're both queer and they do not fall in love -- they just somehow click into a friendship that can carry them through. I loved Kat so hard, with her anxiety and inability to face things. Every time she ran away, I just wanted to run with her. And Mark, with his wholly and consuming love for his closeted-gay best friend who...never loved him back. (Ok but Ryan was a dick, we can admit this a bit. Scared, so I feel for him, but also...ya, a dick.) I loved how the book was honestly about becoming. We're not quite sure what yet? But you can change and become something without knowing where you're going the whole time.

UGH emotions. I had many reading this. I 100% recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Know Me Well.

June 13, 2019 – Shelved