Bill's Reviews > One Thousand and One Ghosts

Jul 28, 2008

liked it
Recommended for: People craving a story about a disinterred Henry IV
Read in July, 2008

I'm a sucker for both Dumas and ghost stories, so this book seemed made for me. Then again, considering that Dumas (more or less)authored hundreds of novels, plays, essays (even a cookbook), everyone can probably find some Dumas work that seems ideally suited to them.

I enjoyed the book, particularly as Dumas writes himself into it, but it scored low on the supernatural creep-out factor. It is loosely based around the question, starkly thrust to the fore during the Terror, of how long a head remains cognizant once severed from the body. Some stories, such as the first, are good for their creepiness, while others are particularly interesting against the backdrop of the French Revolution. However, the last story is one of the lamest vampire stories I have ever read.

This was the second time I read the book, the first being around Halloween in Vienna in 2005. I enjoyed it more then and I must conclude that my latest backdrop, a humid July beach in North Carolina, just didn't set the proper mood.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand and One Ghosts.