destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Splinters Are Children of Wood

Splinters Are Children of Wood by Leia Penina Wilson

bookshelves: 2019-reads, adult, poetry

I sadly find myself wondering if everyone else got a wholly different book from what I was sent, because as much as I wanted to love this when I first picked it up, it turned me off literally within the first few pages and never got any better — to the extent that I had to skim-read the second half because I was so irritated with literally every single facet of this writing style.

There are entire pages that are just blocks of the word (view spoiler) (in spoiler tags because I know a lot of people dislike this word's existence very much). Just... that word over and over and over and over and... do you get my point?

People complain about modern contemporary poets a lot, and usually I'm on the opposite side of that — I love seeing poets twist and reshape the classic formats of poetry, and enjoy the creativity expressed in the idea — but this was... I don't know what this was. I felt like I was in a fever dream while reading it, in the worst possible way.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Splinters Are Children of Wood.

June 13, 2019 – Shelved