Natalie's Reviews > Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer by Trudie Skies

My 14 year old daughter wanted me to read this book. So with her in mind, I requested an advance copy. I have mixed feelings about this book. I loved that Mina is a strong female heroine in this coming of age story. I enjoyed the adventure and pace of the book as Mina discovered her fire power and the new life that came because of it. I feel like she is a relatable character that my daughter will enjoy. My daughter will be able to empathize with Mina, as she learns to deal with becoming a woman in a mans world, and figuring out who she is and who she wants to become.

Over all Mina is a positive role model. She has to not only face her worst fear after she becomes a fire monster, but she endures the loss of her only living family member and home. She is in constant danger and on the brink of destroying not only her life, but the lives of all her friends, her new family, and the community that has accepted her.

As an adult, Mina’s character frustrated me. She was mouthy and disrespectful to the people who had put themselves in great danger to help her. I often wanted to send her to her room. I didn’t think that Mina’s ability to overcome her foes by sword dancing was very believable, because she didn’t have enough time to really grow and develop her skills as a fighter. In the book, it felt rushed. I loved the setting of the book. I hope that there are more parts to it, as a series that either develops more characters from the other cultures or continues with Mina and her friends and family.

I don’t think my daughter will be bothered by Mina’s character, I feel that this is a book 14+ year old girls will enjoy. I plan on recommending it to my daughter and her friends. Mina is a strong character, she deals with self doubt, loss, female teenage emotions, bullying, prejudice, and she has to make some tough decisions and learn to be unselfish. These are all great life lessons and they are dealt with in a book that is going to keep my child engaged through the entire adventure. This book does contain some violence and some strong language. Thus the 14+ recommendations.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sand Dancer.

June 7, 2019 – Started Reading