Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Bunny

Bunny by Mona Awad

bookshelves: read2019

This book is bananas.
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
What are the limits of creativity and friendship? In the world of this novel, the answer to that might contain more blood and guts than your average MFA program (but really, what do I know?)

I liked Awad's previous novel, and this one is a bit more gritty, a bit more fantasy-based. I was pushed over the edge to read it when Gwen and Frank from The Librarian is In podcast (NYPL) chose it for their summer read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bunny.

June 13, 2019 – Shelved
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
August 3, 2019 – Started Reading
August 3, 2019 –
August 3, 2019 – Shelved as: read2019
August 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Is it worth reading or is it just weird?

Jenny (Reading Envy) Jessie wrote: "Is it worth reading or is it just weird?"

I enjoyed it in the moment. If I say that Lena Dunham loved it does that help you decide?

message 3: by Brett (new) - added it

Brett Beach I started reading the book and found some parts of it—badly written? Not quite, but I sometimes wondered if there was an intentional aspect of the voice that was putting me off. I abandoned the book. 😬

Jenny (Reading Envy) Brett wrote: "I started reading the book and found some parts of it—badly written? Not quite, but I sometimes wondered if there was an intentional aspect of the voice that was putting me off. I abandoned the boo..."

Since all of it is coming from the perspective of an MFA student I think half the point is poking fun at the many elements of that world (overwriting, oversharing, etc)... Not sure if that's what you mean.

message 5: by Brett (new) - added it

Brett Beach Yes—maybe that is it. I have an MFA: maybe it hit too close to home!

Jenny (Reading Envy) Brett wrote: "Yes—maybe that is it. I have an MFA: maybe it hit too close to home!"

It gets pretty wacky by the end.

Ruthiella Question that might be a spoiler. (view spoiler)

Jenny (Reading Envy) Ruthiella wrote: "Question that might be a spoiler. [spoilers removed]"

I think by the end (view spoiler)