T.B. Cooper's Reviews > I'm Not Made of Concrete

I'm Not Made of Concrete by F Mike Lee

I’m beginning to develop a desire to read memoirs written by men of color and different backgrounds, other than the average white male. This book easily satisfies this new insatiable, growing, appetite.

Mike Lee tells his story with the beautiful & raw energy of a young man that hasn’t found himself or his purpose yet. He’s an arena football player, who, up until reading this book, I hadn’t heard of. But, I’ve looked into who he is, and yeah… people on the East Coast (N.C., etc.) know who he is. And I say this to illustrate that what he shares openly in this memoir, is made that much more poignant because he faces his demons, exposes his vulnerabilities, and doesn’t come to a pretty place at the end.

Instead, publicly (for anyone that read this book, at least), he airs out his darkest moments; battling anxiety & depression, sex addiction, alcoholism, and an overwhelming struggle and actual functioning companionship with suicidal thoughts & failed attempts. Perhaps that’s why I “enjoyed” this book, because I relate to every one of those struggles, but as a woman? The fact that he still lives and breathes, as of the date of this book review, is remarkable, and it gives me hope that there is so much more to this man & his future, to come. I can only pray that he finds that reason for being, soon.

There is plenty of adult content (sex, drugs, etc.) in here, and TRIGGER WARNINGS (suicide attempts, thoughts, mention of a friend who was sexually assaulted) should be mentioned, now. Plus, profanity is abundant. However, from reading the novel, Mike Lee appears to be an intelligent and articulate man that has an eclectic nature about him. His story, told by him from his POV, shows a man that is searching for answers, loves and trusts too easily (IMHO), and just really needs a hug.

Like, you can really feel, as is becoming apparent as I read more young men’s memoirs, that he never really had a loving and solid place in life, to begin with. To say that this book evoked my deepest compassion would be an understatement.

The copy I read of “Concrete” was poorly edited. In my usual fashion, I reached out to the author and am working to correct that issue. If you read (it) before the edits take place- please, read past the mistakes… read it like someone is speaking to you, speaking fast, and unloading their burdens. Sometimes, all we CAN DO is listen and bear witness to our brother’s pain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Not Made of Concrete.

Finished Reading