Bjørn's Reviews > Fortune's Fool

Fortune's Fool by Angela Boord

Edit: I changed my rating to five, because I can't stop thinking about the characters and waiting for the second book. If that doesn't mean it's a great read, I don't know what does.

---

At the beginning I was a bit overwhelmed by the length of the book – this is a LOT of book – yet when I finished I immediately wanted the second instalment.

For a good part of it, this book operates with a double timeline. This is a blessing, because Kyrra is extremely irritating for a long time – she's a teenager acting like a (gasp!) teenager – but because of how the book is structured I knew that the wait for her to grow up a bit would be worth it. (I think I just accidentally revealed my opinion about teenagers. Get off my lawn.) Still, if I were Arsenault I would have strangled her at least twenty times. Boy, is he patient. Boy, do I have a crush on Arsenault.

Something that struck me were the rich descriptions. Colours, textures, smells, in particular clothing – there's a lot there for the reader's imagination and for the senses. (Not sure I'd like to try kacin, though.) Research combined with worldbuilding results in a book that creates its own reality well enough that I slightly destroyed the kitchen when I was trying to cook and read at the same time. Note to self: keep to one world at a time.

Loyalties change at a drop of a hat. Everyone has at least one, if not more agendas of their own. Gods are neither merciful nor pleasant. Mortals are multi-dimensional, their decisions not always their own, enforced by either politics or deities. Maybe it's the politics that fascinated me the most – the fact that houses are more important than their individual members, who can be either sacrificed or used "for the greater good". The characters are neither black nor white; everything operates in shades of grey masqueraded by other shades of grey. Except for That Bad Guy, who proves to be even more of a bad guy than we would have expected in a delightful plot twist at the end – a black cloak obscuring an even blacker dress.

It's a long, sometimes slowly-paced, delicious read. I have high expectations for the second book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortune's Fool.

June 13, 2019 – Shelved
July 4, 2019 –
July 7, 2019 –
July 8, 2019 –
July 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Boord Thanks, Bjorn! :-) That was a lovely review!