gert's Reviews > Caught Stealing

Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston

Feb 28, 2012

yep - FIVE stars, people! (but i'm not that finicky, so maybe that won't mean much to some of you half star people...)

i adored this book - and everything about it. this is not a book for the faint of heart - but those people probably wouldn't be buying any charles huston, anyway. there is sudden and overwhelming violence, w/just enough descriptors to be upsetting. upsetting, but riveting. all the more so, when we realize hank is capable of it, as well.

when we meet hank, he's a hard drinking bartender, a little irresponsible, floating through life in nyc. he's had some tragedy, don't you know. and those horrible things that happened to him, have left him w/no direction. but he seems like a nice guy, well liked by his employer and the bar's regulars. which is one of the reasons this book rocked - the change in hank IS marked (well, a whole lotta shit DID go down...) but it happens in a way that we can literally count the steps that take him to the change. not a wham bam - now he's a killer, folks! - but in a smart way. loved that.

i also loved how much of our original hank remains - the concern over bud the cat, the concern over his parents. the guilt. all the stuff that is sometimes missing in my noir. but it works here.

highly recommend. (d'uh!)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caught Stealing.