Brenna H.'s Reviews > The King of Attolia

The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Jul 28, 2008

bookshelves: demographic-young-adult, favorites, books-i-own, favorite-characters, genre-mythology, genre-fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read May 24, 2014 to May 28, 2014.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Attolia.

Quotes Brenna Liked

Megan Whalen Turner
“I knew I would be in the story somewhere," Eugenides interjected.
"Oh no," said Phresine, "This was a humble servant."
"Ouch."
"Though very courageous."
"Not me," whispered Eugenides to his pillow.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Your Majesty, please get down. My friend Aris is really a very good man, and if you fall off that wall he's going to hang for it, and so will his squad, most of whom are also nice men, and though I can't say I really care if your attendants hang, there are probably many people that do care, and would you please, please get down?"

The king looked at him, eyes narrowed. "I don't think I've ever heard you say that many words in a row. You sounded almost articulate.”

“Are you badly hurt?"
"Hideously," said the king, without sounding injured at all. "I am disemboweled. My insides may in an instant become my outsides as I stand here before you.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Then come out," said the king, helping him, "knowing you'll never die of a fall unless the god himself drops you.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Safety is an illusion, Costis. A Thief might fall at any time, and eventually the day must come when the god will let him. Whether I am on a rafter three stories up or on a staircase three steps up, I am in my god's hands. He will keep me safe, or he will not, here or on the stairs.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead in the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT!”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Oh, that," said the king with a shrug. "That isn't your honor, Costis. That's the public perception of your honor. It has nothing to do with anything important, except perhaps for manipulating fools who mistake honor for its bright, shiny trappings. You can always change the perceptions of fools.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Sometimes, if you want to change a man's mind, you have to change the mind of the man next to him first.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“You didn't know I could do that, did you?" he asked, conversationally.
"I did not, Your Majesty," Teleus gasped.
"My grandfather killed a man that way once, using the edge of the wooden sword."
"I hadn't realized the Thieves of Eddis were so warlike."
"They aren't, mostly. But like all men, Teleus, I have two grandfathers." Teleus rolled his eyes to look up at him, and the king said, "One of mine was Eddis."
"Ah," said Teleus.
"Ah, indeed," said the king.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“If we truly trust no one, we cannot survive.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“It isn't an easy thing to give your loyalty to someone you don't know, especially when that person chooses to reveal nothing of himself.”
Megan Whalen Turner, The King of Attolia

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
July 28, 2008 – Shelved
January 27, 2011 – Shelved as: genre-mythology
December 3, 2011 – Shelved as: genre-fantasy
May 24, 2014 – Started Reading
May 28, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 1, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: demographic-youn... (Paperback Edition)
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: demographic-midd... (Paperback Edition)
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: favorite-characters (Paperback Edition)
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites (Paperback Edition)
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: genre-mythology (Paperback Edition)
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: genre-fantasy (Paperback Edition)