Sandy's Reviews > The Last Widow

The Last Widow by Karin Slaughter

bookshelves: american-authors, arc-from-publisher, black-humour, crime, detectives, gritty, kidnapping, series, terrorism, thriller

I’ll begin by offering a bit of advice. Don’t open this with the idea of just getting a few chapters under your belt. Prepare. Find a quiet spot, break out the emergency reading kit (snacks, beverages, blankie, heart rate monitor, etc.) & get comfortable. Because this author doesn’t so much gently lead you into the story as throw you off a speeding train. In the ebook version we have our first kidnapping at 2%. Then she gives you a bit of a break, holding off til 8% for the second one. At this point you might start digging around for a seatbelt.

Dr. Michelle Spivey was enjoying an outing with her daughter. When a van suddenly pulls up beside them, her first thought is for her little girl. She needn’t have worried. It’s Michelle they want. One month later, Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent Will Trent & his girlfriend Dr. Sara Linton are spending time with her family when they hear 2 explosions. It’s coming from the Emory Campus & as they attempt to get to the scene, they’re waylaid by a road accident. In the blink of an eye Will is badly beaten & Sara is gone (tip: good time for snack/drink/heart rate check #1).

What follows is a gripping story told by 2 main narrators. In Will’s chapters we follow him & various levels of law enforcement as they try to find Sara & figure out what the hell is going on. His boss Amanda is as cagey & acerbic as ever as she directs the search while sparring with the FBI. Colleague Faith is in the thick of it, running down leads & providing some much needed comic relief.

In alternate chapters, we’re with Sara. Here we learn exactly what a secretive group are up to & why she & Michelle were selected. What they endure, witness & hear makes for a disturbing read at times but one that keeps you glued to the pages. Ms. Slaughter has a tendency to punt you out of your comfort zone but for me, the most unsettling parts were those that reflected the sad truths of real current events. The premise is frighteningly plausible & clearly she’s done her homework.

There is some minor repetition of scenes that seemed unnecessary but that’s nitpicking. Initially you’re swept up by the pace & need to know how all these players fit in. Then there’s a dawning sense of dread as it becomes clear what the bad guys’ agenda is.

To the squillion or so Will Trent fans out there, you can rejoice. It’s been a long wait for this instalment & it doesn’t disappoint. Although it can be enjoyed as a stand alone, there is a boat load of history among these characters that adds depth to the present situation & it was a pleasure to catch up with them. The ending leaves the door open for a book #10 & we can only hope it won’t be a long wait. Maybe use the time to deep breathe & replenish your reading kit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Widow.

Started Reading
June 12, 2019 – Shelved as: kidnapping
June 12, 2019 – Shelved as: series
June 12, 2019 – Shelved as: terrorism
June 12, 2019 – Shelved as: thriller

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

message 1: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ Excellent review, Sandy.

Maureen Carden This was a wonderful review! I check daily with our library to see if they have ordered the book.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review Sandy!😉💖

message 4: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Fabulous review, Sandy 💖

Sandy Diane S ☔ wrote: "Excellent review, Sandy."

Thanks, Diane!

Sandy Maureen wrote: "This was a wonderful review! I check daily with our library to see if they have ordered the book."

Thanks so much, Maureen. I really think you'll love this one.

Sandy Kat wrote: "Excellent review Sandy!😉💖"

Thanks, Kat!

Sandy Felicia wrote: "Fabulous review, Sandy 💖"

Thanks, Felicia! It's a keeper.

Laura/Mystery in Minutes Wonderful review, Sandy! It sounds thrilling!

Donna Fabulous review, Sandy! I'm anxiously waiting for the library to get this one in. Great series!

Sandy Laura/Mystery in Minutes wrote: "Wonderful review, Sandy! It sounds thrilling!"

Thanks, Laura. It definitely is!

Sandy Donna wrote: "Fabulous review, Sandy! I'm anxiously waiting for the library to get this one in. Great series!"

Thanks so much, Donna. Sure hope you love it!

message 13: by Mr Puddy (new)

Mr Puddy Thank you Sandy. Your review is very funny. I like the way how you describe the tone of the book.

Sandy Mr Puddy wrote: "Thank you Sandy. Your review is very funny. I like the way how you describe the tone of the book."

Thanks so much, Mr. P!

Paromjit Fabulous review as always, Sandy.....delighted you loved it too! :)

Sandy Paromjit wrote: "Fabulous review as always, Sandy.....delighted you loved it too! :)"

Thanks, Paromjit. So good to get back to this series.

message 17: by John (new)

John Anakwenze Sandy, i really enjoyed your review and i continue going over it . I loved the warning at the beginning of it all. Thank you.

Sandy Dr. wrote: "Sandy, i really enjoyed your review and i continue going over it . I loved the warning at the beginning of it all. Thank you."

Thanks so much, Dr. Hope you're reading something great! 🤓

message 19: by Tucker (new) - added it

Tucker Great review Sandy. Thanks for the warning about the emergency reading kit!

Sandy Tucker wrote: "Great review Sandy. Thanks for the warning about the emergency reading kit!"

Thanks, Tucker. Kit contents may vary 😉

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Daly Great review Sandy, my TBR list is just growing and growing

Sandy Kathleen wrote: "Great review Sandy, my TBR list is just growing and growing"

Thanks, Kathleen. I know the feeling...never enough time!

message 23: by Mike (new)

Mike Love your opening paragraph, Sandy, and the fact that you have an emergency reading kit?!? Going to have to think about what I want to put in mine now!!!!

Terrific review!!!

Sandy Mike wrote: "Love your opening paragraph, Sandy, and the fact that you have an emergency reading kit?!? Going to have to think about what I want to put in mine now!!!!

Terrific review!!!"

Thanks, Mike. Must confess my kit consists mostly of munchies 😉

message 25: by Tucker (new) - added it

Tucker Sandy wrote: "Tucker wrote: "Great review Sandy. Thanks for the warning about the emergency reading kit!"

Thanks, Tucker. Kit contents may vary 😉"

You're too funny! I think your contents sound great but now that it's summer I may substitute a seat-belt equipped hammock for a blanket!

Sandy Tucker wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Tucker wrote: "Great review Sandy. Thanks for the warning about the emergency reading kit!"

Thanks, Tucker. Kit contents may vary 😉"

You're too funny! I think your contents sound gr..."

You're a brave reader, Tucker. Maybe add some bubble wrap & you should be safe 😉

message 27: by Alan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alan Cotterell Great review for a fantastic book. Love your intro.

message 28: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Great review, on my list to read,🌞

Sandy Alan wrote: "Great review for a fantastic book. Love your intro."

Thanks so much, Alan. I just read your excellent review so right back atcha!

Sandy Andrea wrote: "Great review, on my list to read,🌞"

Thanks, Andrea. Hope you love it! 🤓

message 31: by Mort (new)

Mort Great review! Yes, I love me some Slaughter too!

Sandy Mort wrote: "Great review! Yes, I love me some Slaughter too!"

Thanks so much, Mort. Me too, I always feel like I need to brace myself before starting one of her books (🍷)

message 33: by Paul (new)

Paul B Sandy: Great review. At the opening of the story I was not convinced that after two explosions the GBI trained cop Will Trent would not have immediately and automatically moved to Sarah’s auto to collect his weapon before setting off.

Sandy Paul wrote: "Sandy: Great review. At the opening of the story I was not convinced that after two explosions the GBI trained cop Will Trent would not have immediately and automatically moved to Sarah’s auto to c..."

Thanks, Paul. And yep, right there with you. There were little things that seemed against SOP but sure helped move the plot along.

message 35: by Jean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jean You're not exaggerating, Sandy. This book is hard to put down. Even when I wasn't reading it, I was still thinking about it! Love your review!

Sandy Jean wrote: "You're not exaggerating, Sandy. This book is hard to put down. Even when I wasn't reading it, I was still thinking about it! Love your review!"

Thanks so much, Jean. Right? Feel like I spent a lot of time with my hand over my face reading between my fingers 😱 So glad you're enjoying it!

message 37: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat Wish I'd read this before I started the book on the way to work yesterday! Talk about a roller coaster of action from the first chapter. I was wishing I'd called in sick to just finish reading the novel instead. Got it finished by the next morning though :)

Sandy Cat wrote: "Wish I'd read this before I started the book on the way to work yesterday! Talk about a roller coaster of action from the first chapter. I was wishing I'd called in sick to just finish reading the ..."

Right there with you, Cat....I seriously considered taking a day "off". So glad you enjoyed it!