Sean Barrs the Bookdragon's Reviews > Lord of Chaos

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

did not like it
bookshelves: 1-star-reads, fantasy

I am done!!!!

That's it. I'm out. I will not be reading anymore of this series because it is so annoyingly repetitive. The story has not moved forward for three books and the chapters and monologues all feel the same. The paragraphs feel the same, the sentences feel the same. It's almost like Robert Jordan is more interested in hitting a massive word count rather than writing a good story.

I was still curious to see how the series ended so I googled it and read the spoilers. A solid ending, if a little a-typical. I don't feel like I needed to read it to see it. This way is much better because I can actually go off now and read a good book. With this I found myself skimming huge sections and skipping chapters in their entirety because they were so boring. A book should not make you feel this way. I want to enjoy what I'm reading, not feel like it is a massive soul destroying chore that I don't want to partake in.

The Wheel of Time
1. Eye of the World- An unoriginal five stars
2. The Great Hunt- A reluctant three stars
3. The Dragon Reborn- A well-developed four stars
4. The Shadow Rising- A strong four stars
5. The Fires of Heaven- A slow two stars
6. Lords of Chaos- I am done!!!!

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Chaos.

January 12, 2019 – Started Reading
June 12, 2019 – Shelved
June 12, 2019 – Shelved as: 1-star-reads
June 12, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 12, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Michael Targaryen I quit after book 1-excited for the Amazon Studios upcoming series though.

Allison Marie I promise it gets better!! I remember there being a few slow books in the middle (though I thought it was later to be honest), but overall the series really is amazing. I know that he seemed to get off track and meander in the middle books, and he definitely adds too many characters - but the last few books that were in collaboration with Brandon Sanderson (he wrote Jordan’s outline) are really well done.

I’ve read this series at least 5 times now (it’s been a few years since the last read - I’m definitely due for a re-read) and besides the LotR trilogy that got me into the fantasy genre it is my all time favourite.

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Nico's wrote: "You should try Stormlight Archive, written by the guy that finished WoT."

i shall try it one day! :)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Allison wrote: "I promise it gets better!! I remember there being a few slow books in the middle (though I thought it was later to be honest), but overall the series really is amazing. I know that he seemed to get..."

I'm way to bored now to continue with it. Need to move onto other books! :D

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Michael Targaryen wrote: "I quit after book 1-excited for the Amazon Studios upcoming series though."

I may give it a go, maybe.

Ozymandias I too promise it gets better. However, given the absurd length of this series it will take more books than you've already read to get to that point. Probably best to quit while you're ahead and wait for the Amazon series.

message 7: by P. (new)

P. Kirby I bailed somewhere around books four or five, so kudos for getting to six. From what little I remember, the first two were really good, but after that it all blurred into smear of braid tugging and descriptions of clothing. ZZZzzzzzz.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Manley Wow I couldn’t even finish book two.

Chafic (Rello) but Matt! but Perrin! All hail Rand!

I do get it though, it's really tough in the series.
It does pick up around Book 9 though, but yes. It's tough.

At least you get to experience the characters though - so that's about it. Lan Mandragor, Egwene, Nynaeve - even the Forsaken.

The characters were amazing.

message 10: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Jackson I lost count of the pages I read going into great detail about what the women were wearing, it drove me nuts. 🙄

message 11: by Metodi (new)

Metodi Markov I dropped it about there as well, such a crappy series.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie So is it even worth starting the series? I keep debating if I want to try it.

message 13: by Calvin (new)

Calvin Park This whole book basically has a single scene that I enjoyed. The series as a whole is interesting, and at the time it was fairly ground breaking, but it has not aged well in terms of the style of storytelling--and I'm not sure it was ever as good as we sometimes hear.

Marta Vieira Ha! I dropped off at #8 about 8 years ago. Same issue as you. Then I read a ton of Brandon Sanderson and decided I had enough faith in him to push through and get to the books he wrote at the end of this series. It was worth it! (Though I didn’t like the final book as much as the other 2 by Sanderson)

message 15: by 7jane (new)

7jane I'm going to read #1-#4, and I can see from here clearly why it's a good thing. *sigh*