Diana Gitau's Reviews > Not My Daughter

Not My Daughter by Kate Hewitt

I know motherhood is described as an amazing life- changing, experience.Watching other mothers makes it seem so natural, kinda easy. Like there is special gift that all women are born with which makes motherhood sort of natural. Nothing about it is easy. In the past few years, I have come to realize that it’s not easy to conceive, it’s not easy to carry a pregnancy to full term, safe delivery is never guaranteed and motherhood doesn’t simply occur. This book reminded me of all these issues. Through Milly and Anna’s story, I got to see the different aspects of motherhood. At the end, I was left emotionally wrung-out. However, this book also firmed my respect and appreciation for all mothers.

The key theme in the story is motherhood. Other themes that came up include adoption, infertility, IVF, post-partum depression, loss and friendship. The story is narrated through the perspectives of Anna and Lucy. Through the chapters, we get to follow the two women’s journey towards motherhood. We get to learn about their joys and struggles but also about their friendship.

Not My Daughter by Kate Hewitt is the kind of book that may cause you to examine your own life. I had to think about my friendships especially in light of everything that has happened in my life this year. I am afraid I might have turned into a ‘forever bride’. You know when you are a bride, all attention is on you. Your friends and family are always checking up on you because you have this big thing happening in your life. This continues after the wedding and I guess months later, you realize that you have been talking so much about yourself and might have forgotten to really listen to your friends. This book made me reflect on such issues and re-examine my life.

I ‘enjoyed’ reading this story. It broke my heart, caused me to critically look at my own life and I loved every moment that I spent reading it. I enjoyed Kate’s writing, she writes beautiful, giving words to feelings and thoughts that you didn’t even know you had. I love how well she portrayed the different themes concerning motherhood. The characters were so well crafted that I want to meet them and find out how their lives turned out. This is a hauntingly beautiful, poignant, well crafted story. I can’t recommend it enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not My Daughter.

June 10, 2019 – Started Reading