Janet's Reviews > We Walked the Sky

We Walked the Sky by Lisa Fiedler

bookshelves: 2019ng-when-i-read, kindle

A stunning, multigenerational story about two teenagers: Victoria, who joins the circus in 1965, and her granddaughter, Callie, who leaves the circus fifty years later. Perfect for fans of This is Us.

In 1965 seventeen-year-old Victoria, having just escaped an unstable home flees to the ultimate place for dreamers and runaways--the circus. Specifically, the VanDrexel Family Circus where, among the lion tamers, roustabouts, and trapeze artists, Victoria hopes to start a better life.

Fifty years later, Victoria's sixteen-year-old granddaughter Callie is thriving. A gifted and focused tightrope walker with dreams of being a VanDrexel high wire legend just like her grandmother, Callie can't imagine herself anywhere but the circus. But when Callie's mother accepts her dream job at an animal sanctuary in Florida just months after Victoria's death, Callie is forced to leave her lifelong home behind.

Feeling unmoored and out of her element, Callie pores over memorabilia from her family's days on the road, including a box that belonged to Victoria when she was Callie's age. In the box, Callie finds notes that Victoria wrote to herself with tips and tricks for navigating her new world. Inspired by this piece of her grandmother's life, Callie decides to use Victoria's circus prowess to navigate the uncharted waters of public high school.

Across generations, Victoria and Callie embrace the challenges of starting over, letting go, and finding new families in unexpected places.

This was an interesting YA read that adults would also like - it was well written and the story was enjoyable to follow along with. (I am not sure of the "This is Us" angle being part of the story/appeal as I cannot stand that show, aside from Randall & family!) It was a different and interesting world to read about and the characters were well fleshed out and interesting - a good read for summer vacation for the kids!

The cover??? AMAZING!!!!!!!!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millennials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🎪🎪🎪🎪

NOTE: I STILL cannot link this review to LinkedIn - there is something wrong with the linking/programming and it will not happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Walked the Sky.

June 11, 2019 – Started Reading