Sandra Severson's Reviews > Everywhere She's Not

Everywhere She's Not by N. John Shore Jr.

U 50x66

I usually am reading 3 or more books at any given time, depending on where I am at the time.
But when I received Everywhere She's Not my other books all fell by the wayside. I read it straight through....thought about it for a day, and reread it.
This book is that amazing. It deals with a young man who needs to learn WHY he fears committing to anyone or anything. He needs to realize he is deserves love, and even to love himself.
It very intensely explores childhood pain and seriously has passages that will make you cry. But it will also make you laugh. Somehow the author uses two forms of humor, a dry subtle form, and a corny broad type. And the second type, while irritating in real life, is nothing more than a defense mechanism the protagonist desperately needs to cope with life.
Your beliefs about your parents change over time, and eventually most people are able to accept and continue loving their family even with their faults. But sometimes you may need to let them go, hard as it is.
It is set in the 70's, and also covers a very realistic view of homophobia at that time. It too may make you cry, but the portrayal of acceptance of responsibility and growth will inspire you. I lived in that era and saw gay people suffer trying so hard to live their lives while staying in the closet. No one should ever have to deny love for society's sake.
Bottom line is that this book should be a bestseller soon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everywhere She's Not.

Finished Reading