Jennifer's Reviews > Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon

Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon by Mary Fan

bookshelves: netgalley-e-arcs

This is a story about Anlei, an acrobat warrior who refused to follow the usual path of girls in her time, but is forced to marry a powerful viceroy in order to save her village.

This book has a slow start but I appreciated it because it provided the backstory which made me understand Anlei more. She's still grieving the loss of her father and she wants to seek revenge. I admire Anlei's character because of the love and dedication that she has for her family and her village. She'll do anything, even marry the viceroy, and give the enchanted River Pearl, in exchange for protection for her people from the attacks of the Ligui.

The River Pearl was stolen by a young thief, Tai. A mysterious boy, who desperately needs it to save his people. He is such a lovable character, and I loved the playful/witty banter between him and Anlei. Their chemistry made me enjoy reading this book more.

The only thing that I felt lacking was a bit of a backstory for the villain as I would've wanted to understand his motivations/reasons. But with its plot twists, the combination of steampunk and magic, the Asian representation, and the world-building, you surely won't regret reading this! Thanks to NetGalley and Page Street Kids for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"Self-control today is a gift for tomorrow. Be kind to your future self."

"Many choices come down to love or hate. Choose love, every time."

"Nothing can truly be fixed. Once broken, nothing will ever be as it was."

"And though you can't repair something entirely, you can mold it into something better."

Soundtrack: Fire and the Flood by Vance Joy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon.

June 11, 2019 – Shelved
June 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 14, 2019 – Started Reading
June 14, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley-e-arcs
June 14, 2019 –
page 211
June 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Glad to see you reading more fantasy books. Love the review, Jen. Sounds like a great fantasy read. ^^

Jennifer Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Glad to see you reading more fantasy books. Love the review, Jen. Sounds like a great fantasy read. ^^"

Thanks, Aj! :-)