MacK's Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

Jul 09, 2007

bookshelves: classics, favorites, world-lit

Marquez keeps soaring up my list of favorite authors like a bullet.

At first it seems rather like other works that he does, the same playful imagination that careens from one topic to the next, never quite profound but always attention grabbing. And as it goes on, slowly, surely, with a deft sense of when to introduce new characters and when to remind the readers of old stand-bys the story begins to repeat itself, running around in a circle.

Yet the most impressive things to me in this novel is how, for a history of one family's century in a small town, dialogue and conversation never runs beyond a few lines. Very little is actually said by the characters, it's said through their actions and through the description of their home and their city, and it becomes as much a history of the place as the people in it. Even more remarkable, I found myself noticing the minor changes too, the new prostitutes in the Turk Alley, the decay and creeping cobwebs all of it seemed as interesting as the executions and military coups.

Remarkably facinating and imminently readable (especially for a book of over four hundred pages).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Finished Reading