Amanda's Reviews > Ellen's Song

Ellen's Song by Ben Kalland

bookshelves: for-review-2019

The novel, "Ellen's Song," has just become another of those books I might never have chosen, thinking it not to my taste - the exact same way I initially thought of Pete Hamill's, "Forever," which has yet to be unseated as Number One on my favorites list. Now that I've finished "Ellen's Song," I'm so glad I read it! Despite the tragedy and general decimation of this fictional family and hereby, this fictional world that Ben Kallad has woven into my consciousness - a plot ploy I normally despise - I found a sense of hope and resilience I refuse to let go of. This is a modern story, though it smacks of that multi-generational, historical drama sensibility, and it worked magnificently.

Kallad's dialogue is well written, yet concise without coming off clipped, and his characters... they will stick with a reader long after they've closed the book. Even Sophia, technically gone from page one, packs a punch. They're all so easily relatable without being contrite. "Ellen's Song" will be easy to recommend to friends and family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ellen's Song.

June 10, 2019 – Started Reading