Sarah's Reviews > Songs of America: Patriotism, Protest, and the Music That Made a Nation

Songs of America by Jon Meacham

Now a days we take music and the meaning for granted. This book was kind of the history of music and some songs that impacted our country all these years later. The authors did an amazing job at doing research and telling the story of some well known songs and how they came about. Some of these songs I grew up singing and can’t ever remember where they came from. Like most some of the stories told in this book we were taught in school and others I don’t ever remember hearing. It gives me a whole new appreciation for those who came before us and paved the road for us in one way or another. The authors also manager to right a story or those lives and how their lives where impacted by the times and what took place.
I have always loved history and I feel like this book gives you a whole other look into the history of music and how poetry was just as important to song writing even in the 1700's when America was found. With everything going on in our government it was a reminder of what our forefathers intended for our country, and how even some of this men failed at their best intention. Over all if you like music of any kind or like history I would recommend this book if gives you a whole new respect for both. I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley. I was under no obligation to post a review and have given my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of America.

Started Reading