Christine's Reviews > The Memory of Trees

The Memory of Trees by Mick Rooney

Feb 27, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This book tells the story about a boy named Carlos who has lost both of his parents. He decides to leave his village and go on a journey during which he discovers himself and the world around him.

I liked Carlos' character. He was intelligent, but still had a lot of life lessons to learn. I admired his bravery in setting out on his journey all alone. It was interesting to read about all the different people that he met along his travels.

Eventually, Carlos ran into his uncle Bakkar but I wasn't too keen on him. I didn't understand some of the things he did and was disappointed by the way he treated Carlos. I breathed a sigh of relief when Carlos left his uncle's home and was on his way again because he seemed 'stuck' while he was there.

When Carlos arrived at the monastery and found Monika, it seemed like things were beginning to fall into place for him. I was glad that Carlos met Padre Callico who shared a lot of wisdom with him and helped him understand his uncle's actions.

I enjoyed this book and appreciated all the truths and lessons in it. It was a very thought-provoking read for me so I took my time with it. I think if I would have raced through it that I would have missed some important messages in the story.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory of Trees.

February 27, 2012 – Shelved