Jill's Reviews > Rainshadow Road

3820197
Feb 27, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read in February, 2012

For Lucy Marinn, playing second fiddle to her younger sister Alice is nothing new. Ever since childhood when Alice contracted meningitis and nearly died, their parents have always favoured Alice. So it should have come as no surprise that Lucy’s fiancé favours Alice as well. Enough to dump Lucy and take up with her sister.

Born and raised on San Juan Island, Sam is a winemaker and grape-grower and the middle Nolan brother. When their sister was killed in a car accident, Sam along with his brothers Mark and Alex became the guardians of her daughter, six year-old Holly. Now a year later with Mark ready to marry Maggie, Holly has settled into the family with her uncles.

Having read and loved Lisa Kleypas's other contemporary the Travis Series, for me Friday Harbor just doesn’t compare. And perhaps that’s the problem. For me there isn’t a Gage, Hardy, Jack or Joe in sight and not a slow, delicious Texas drawl within hearing. Readers looking for another Travis Series may be disappointed.

Don’t get me wrong this isn’t bad at all. But there’s nothing here that is distinctive or sets it apart from any other number of well-written contemporary romances with a family of brothers, set in a small town or on an island. If Lisa Kleypas's name wasn’t on the cover I could have easily inserted Nora Roberts or....

The jury is still out on the magical realism element to the story. I do prefer my contemporaries straight without a twist of magic. Nevertheless it is different, and it is kind of cute. But I’m just not sure what else it adds. And I’m not keen on the friends-with-benefits theme. For me it always seems improbable that two people who are attracted physically and sexually are somehow going to be able to keep their distance emotionally and psychologically.

There were a few glimpses of Ms Kleypas's trademark humourous dialogue.

Bottom line, yes I enjoyed Rainshadow Road. It’s a nice, well-written contemporary with a touch of magical realism, a smalltown feel with an island setting. Yet is indistinguishable from any other series by any number of other good writers of contemporary romance featuring a family of brothers.

Nevertheless I guarantee that fans of Lisa Kleypas will enjoy Rainshadow Road. For me though, good, just not great.

Steam: 2.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainshadow Road.

02/27/2012
0.0% "Woohoo! My copy just downloaded! Starting this straight away!" 3 comments
02/27/2012
21.0% "Somewhat slow and subdued beginning. Hope it picks up the pace...."
34.0% "Um, this is okay." 4 comments
02/28/2012
65.0% ""I would love to be mobile again," Lucy said fervently, rinsing with the hot shower spray. "And I'm sure you would love not having to carry me everywhere." "You're right. I can't imagine why I thought wrapping a half-naked woman in plastic and carrying her around would be any fun at all."" 3 comments
100.0% "Not bad."

KatLynne Hope it picks up Jill! I have this on hold at the Library but will be awhile. I think I'm 10th on the list...LOL I could break down and purchase for my Kindle but hate paying $10 for an ebook:)

Jill Gee I hope it picks up too KatLynne. Don't get me wrong it's good, just not great. Maybe those Travis boys have ruined me for any other contemps!

Yes, and $9.99 is way too much, especially when it's not lending-enabled.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jill wrote: "Gee I hope it picks up too KatLynne. Don't get me wrong it's good, just not great. Maybe those Travis boys have ruined me for any other contemps!

Yes, and $9.99 is way too much, especially when it's not lending-enabled. "

Oh, no! Does it still have the same tone as Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor? I mean, that did have a very different feel to the Travis books.

It's not? That's a bummer. At least I'll be able to lend my hard copy to my friends here.

Jill Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Jill wrote: "Gee I hope it picks up too KatLynne. Don't get me wrong it's good, just not great. Maybe those Travis boys have ruined me for any other contemps!

Yes, and $9.99 is way too much, espec..."

Jaynie, it's exactly the same tone as CEaFH. It just doesn't have that special LK touch...yet. Maybe in the final two-thirds....hopefully.

message 6: by Zumbagirl (new)

Zumbagirl Wish I had it! I'm still finishing up the Travis series, but I'll get to this some day. Hope it gets better

Jill Hi Zumbagirl. I just finished 5 minutes ago.
It was good. But imo not as good as the Travis series.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jill wrote: "Hi Zumbagirl. I just finished 5 minutes ago.
It was good. But imo not as good as the Travis series."

See, you just finished! Dang, you're a fast reader, Jilly!!

message 9: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla I was disappointed with the first book in this series and was hoping that this one would be better, I look forward to your review Jill.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Wow, you were quick Mary E. I've just posted it. Really love to see what you think.

Are you reading it today? And have you read book #1 in the series?

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill <>
No, not at all. It can be read as a stand-alone.

Enjoy!

message 12: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Feb 28, 2012 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Ha! And it's not even afternoon yet, Jilly! I knew you'd be quick! LOL I won't read this just yet, Jilly. With it being so close to me reading - Please let it be close to me reading it! Hurry up, post people! ^_^ - I think I'll stay away from any reviews so as not to be influenced. I look forward to reading your review when I've read it, though. And I know it will be well expressed, as usual - despite you saying you have a Maths/Science brain! I always think your reviews are excellent, Jilly.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Mary Elizabeth wrote: "Bite your tongue Jilly I got
The Darkest Seduction and Paris waiting for me :D "

*Gasp!* How did this fall off my radar?? Probably because I'm not up-to-date with this series, but I do remember wanting Paris story from Book 2, already. Dang! Need to order now and catch up with this series, soon! Thanks for the reminder, Mary E!

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Ha! And it's not even afternoon yet, Jilly! I knew you'd be quick! LOL I won't read this just yet, Jilly. With it being so close to me reading - Please let it be close to me reading it! Hurry up, p..."

Really hope your copy arrives soon...like today!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Mary Elizabeth wrote: "sigh @Jayne I'm afraid to read it, I have such high expectations for Paris book... The Darkest Lie is the last book I read, & the BEST instalment in the LOTU series so far ..."

I've only read up to book 3.

At least I'm almost up to date with Psy-Changeling, and then I'll have to get up to date with LOTU, soon-ish. I've made a note to order Paris' book when I get home. I hope you enjoy it, Mary E!

message 16: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Feb 28, 2012 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jill wrote: "Jaynie, no problem I do the same thing. Only just now starting to read through others' reviews of RR.

Really hope your copy arrives soon...like today! "

I'm pretty sure it won't be today, but thanks! ^_^ They aren't that quick. I'm hoping by early next week though.

message 17: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Lovely review. I pre-ordered this and have it in my inbox!! Yeah me!!

message 18: by Jill (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Michelle. I'll keep my eyes peeled for your rating and review. Enjoy!

message 19: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great review Jilly! I don't know if anyone can really compare to Hardy and the Travis brothers, they are oh so special. *sigh*

This one's on my LK backlist, but I'll leave it for now, since I'm enjoying the Wallflower series so much at the moment.

message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Wendy wrote: "Great review Jilly! I don't know if anyone can really compare to Hardy and the Travis brothers, they are oh so special. *sigh*

This one's on my LK backlist, but I'll leave it for now, since I'm ..."

Thanks Wen! And I agree, that no one will come close to the Travis (including Hardy here) boys. I think LK reached her zenith with that series. Those boys are seriously gorgeous. All.Of.Them.

Good idea Wen, stick with the Wallflowers. Great series.

message 21: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Great review Jill. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with it. I've read so many other great series from this author and I might just settle for re-reads of those book. You're right, nothing can compare to the Travises and I'm holding out hope that we get Joe's story!

message 22: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Karla. I think I will read the next (last?) in the series with Alex (youngest brother) who's borderline alcoholic. But, I think it'll be a library copy only.

And I so hope we get Joe's story too!

KatLynne Loved your review Jill! I'm always looking for "great" especially if I pay nearly $10 for an ebook:) I think I'll keep my name on that long list at my library.

message 24: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks KatLynne. I know a number of other friends loved this - Lisa Kay, Crista, to name a few. But it just didn't do it for me. It was good, not great and I'd say definitely a library copy.

message 25: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Exactly my thoughts on this book. I didn't read on, but dummy me, bought a few more ;)

message 26: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Michelle wrote: "Exactly my thoughts on this book. I didn't read on, but dummy me, bought a few more ;)"

The next one, Dream Lake is the best in the series imo. Worth reading...just. :)