Amy's Reviews > The Adults

The Adults by Alison Espach

Feb 27, 2012

I just loved Emily, the protagonist. She thought so much like a "real" teenage girl. I mean, I really, really, really, believed her. The language is beautiful but not flowery. The story kind of drags or strains just a little, tiny bit (I think) once she gets out of high school - keeps going through Prage, takes a little dip, and picks back up at the end, so it's not bad, there's just a small slow part in the middle, but it's a great plot and so well-written, and I got really caught up in the book - and in Emily - so it didn't a flaw when I was reading - maybe more a choice I just wasn't crazy about than a flaw, I think. I didn't give a shit, I just felt slightly less engaged during maybe a 20 page stretch in the third quarter. But I loved the book. I just wanted it to keep going. When I finished, I turned the last page over, saw a blank page, and said, "What?" out loud (granted, there was one of those book club discussion guides, which I did not know until I came to them, so it's not like I felt it was cut short, I'd just been expecting it to keep going. The really should have made the pages grey!

But, no, it was a gorgeous, engaging, incredible book. I adore it. I think everyone should read it. Beautiful and gripping and so wonderfully - not mundane - something that basically means "true" but is not quite that. Really grounded, observant, smart and smooth. Great reading experience and a really gorgeous, accomplished novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adults.

February 11, 2012 – Started Reading