Katie's Reviews > Klickitat

Klickitat by Peter Rock

it was ok

My main issues with this book were 1. the writing was really rough in some areas and 2. no one talked like a real person. There were other things, like how at times the timeline was very confusing and it seemed like everything was purposefully obfuscated, but I could let those things go because they do kind of make sense after the reveal at the end.

SO. The writing. By about page 60 or so it became very clear that the author never used any synonyms for "said," and that that word appeared about half a dozen times on each and every page. Once I started noticing it, I could't stop and it took me out of the story. More than once, I had to re-read sections because I was so distracted by how many "saids" there were that I couldn't actually remember what the characters... said.

The other thing that took me out of the book was how none of the characters sounded quite right. I understand that the two sisters and Henry were supposed to be "weird," and I could even forgive Taffy acting strange- though at that point it was most of the characters and the strangeness was beginning to feel exhausting. But even the parents didn't sound like humans at times.

I also feel like the character of Henry was a missed opportunity.(view spoiler)

I get what this book was trying to do. It was supposed to be about the close relationship between two sisters, and the mystical, maybe-magical-realism-maybe-mental-illness bits were supposed to be a sub-plot which came to a head in the last 50 pages. The problem was, I didn't really care about either sister because I didn't know anything about them except that Vivan was emotionally distant and Audra was a typical obnoxious teen who thought she was the first person ever to think suburban life is "fake" or "robotic" as she puts it. The author just kept telling us that the sisters were close, without having any actual evidence or memorable, moving scenes where we really saw the sisters being close- there aren't even any flashbacks like this. It made it seem like the book had no point.

All this being said, the last 50 pages were genuinely interesting and kept me guessing right up until the end. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to remember this book in a few weeks, but it was short and quick so I'm not mad about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Klickitat.

June 9, 2019 – Started Reading