Deborah's Reviews > Prince of Dreams

Prince of Dreams by Pippa DaCosta

bookshelves: adult, fantasy, science-fiction, sf, urban-fantasy

Kesh is back on Faerie. Not her idea, but now it’s where she needs to be, if she’s going to stop Arran’s execution, and seize the chance to free her people, the saru, from a crumbling regime. Her master, the faerie king, Oberon, has plans for her, and with the enforced close attendance of the guardian, Sirius, the only place Kesh can advance her plans is in her dreams. Which, of course, means bargaining with Eledan, the Dreamweaver. He twisted her mind once before, and never truly left it, and yet she holds the key to something he needs to awaken from his prison of slumber: his heart.
Can Kesh trust the bargain she makes with the Prince of Dreams? Or is it all illusion?
Seeing Kesh back on Faerie, struggling to cope with both the perilous situation, and the overpowering effect of the planet’s magic, is mind-blowing. How DaCosta guides her characters through the twists and turns of this convoluted, thrilling ride, is nothing short of masterful - or perhaps that should be ‘mistressful’, considering the reverse harem involved.
I loved seeing and learning yet more about Kellee and Talen as they mount a raid on Earth – a planet where Kellee has history, and the inhabitants haven’t forgotten. Human duplicity, and their misguided belief in the over-riding power of technology rings sadly too true, but the Messenger lads are more than a match, even without Kesh.
And then we have Sota, finally with a body. And fingers… for the sake of spoilers, let’s not go there yet.
The sex began to heat up in the last book, and continues to do so in this one, but always as part of the plot, not an adjunct. It’s always more about the relationships, and the depths of feeling evoked by their complexities raises this series to heights few books accomplish, in my widely read experience.
Can you tell I really love this series? The final book is just released, and I feel ambivalent – I can’t wait to read it, and yet I don’t want to, because I really, really don’t want to reach the end of this journey.
Damn! I guess I’ll just have to suck it up, and read it anyway. If you are even slightly curious about this extraordinary genre mash-up of science fiction, classic faerie tale, and urban fantasy, I can’t recommend strongly enough that you do the same.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince of Dreams.

Started Reading