Brian 's Reviews > Code Blue: Inside America's Medical Industrial Complex

Code Blue by Mike Magee

bookshelves: business-healthcare

Code Blue by Dr. Mike Magee takes a look at the idea of a Medical Industrial Complex akin to the Military Industrial Complex that President Eisenhower warned of. This complex is made up of Hosptials, insurers, pharmacists, professional medical organizations, and government entities including but not limited to the FDA, NIH and members of congress. This group has shaped and destroyed American health care by putting profits ahead of practice, disease research ahead of managed health and a pursuit that has led to sub optimal outcomes in health care. While it is clear that Mike Magee believes a single payer is the only way out he lays out his reasoning carefully and soundly. While I would like to believe there is a more free market way out that puts the labor market back on the onus of providing employer based health insurance as we proliferate right to work states that seems to be less and less likely. The author hear knows his topic well having been a physician, worked for Pfizer and then as a policy analyst writing on the topic of health care in America.
This book is well researched and for those who want an informed opinion of how we got to where we are this is a very good place to start. With my own background in health and pharma economics I found this a fascinating read and largely jived wit he macro data I have studied on health care trends. In short for 300 pages the author covers a tremendous amount of ground accurately and succinctly with thoughtful analysis that bears closer study.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Blue.

June 9, 2019 – Started Reading