Anika's Reviews > Michigan vs. the Boys

Michigan vs. the Boys by Carrie  S. Allen

Thank you to Netgalley for this ARC!

I loved the concept of Michigan vs the Boys - it's a tale that's been told many times but that doesn't get enough attention. We've seen it in football, basketball, but never in hockey, which is what makes this book fresh (or should I say, crisp like winter air?).

Michigan's character is very relatable and her actions aren't out of character. I really felt for Michigan as everything was happening to her. I commend her for her bravery and women out there just like her.

Unfortunately, this book didn't feel like it lived up to its expectations. Even though everything Michigan went through was horrible, I felt like the stakes could have been upped. Maybe I've just become desensitized and don't find the events of the book "traumatic" enough and that is on me. I know the stakes are already high enough since she could lose everything if she told on the boys but as the book was progressing, I almost expected a big downfall for her.

The coach was very confusing. He was very loving towards his daughter but not sympathetic at all towards Michigan. I would have really liked to explore that notion a lot more.

Some of the characters, okay all, lacked depth. It became a one person show and that really dragged the pacing and didn't make me care about the characters around her. I know it's Michigan's story but it would have added to the novel if other characters were made more prominent.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Michigan vs. the Boys.

June 9, 2019 – Shelved