Heather June Gibbons's Reviews > Human Dark with Sugar

Human Dark with Sugar by Brenda Shaughnessy

Jul 28, 2008

did not like it
Read in August, 2008

I really liked her first book, so I have high expectations for this collection. I'm only about 15 poems in thus far, and I have to say: I'm underwhelmed. I'll write more when I've read it "for real"-- hopefully it gets better?
*****
It didn't get much better for me. The voice and diction in this collection is so much less charged and jeweled than her first. Disappointing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Human Dark with Sugar.

khatch yeah. i like your use of "jeweled" here. that's it exactly.

Heather June Gibbons So are you liking this new one? Is it like terribly overrated or did I miss something crucial (which is entirely possible)?

khatch i got human dark from the library first, but didn't like it that much -- which i thought was weird b/c i really liked her stuff i saw elsewhere. so then i got the first one. and i really, really liked the first one ("jeweled" indeed!). it was so good it exhausted me at times. in a good way. the way that makes you feel defeated and terribly excited simultaneously. i mean to return to human dark and finish it so i can really process it and be done, but instead i keep renewing it so it can sit under all my other books on my nightstand.