Robert Owens's Reviews > The Babe I

The Babe  I by David A. Adler

liked it
bookshelves: baseball, fiction, in-classroom, vps, classroom-library, classroombookaday

This was an interesting story. Set in 1932 in the middle of the Great Depression, the boy is upset because all he received was a dime for his birthday. He and his friend spend the dime on two apples. It is then that the boy sees his father also selling apples. Selling apples is what people did to get a little money until a job could be had.

The father lost his job. That is why he was selling apples. He had not told his family. The boy vowed not to disclose this. At this point, his father didn't know his son knew his secret.

The friend taught the boy how to sell newspapers. This is very much like the Newsies show that Beetle and I have seen recently. The boy is taught not to call out about the day's disaster, but rather re-position over near Yankee Stadium and call out the latest Babe Ruth news. The boy sells his newspapers.

One day Babe Ruth himself purchases a paper for $5! The boys go into the game with that money. The boy vows to keep his father's secret.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Babe I.

June 7, 2019 – Started Reading