Rex Monk's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

M 50x66
Feb 27, 2012

Cannot think of 5 other books I've read that are better than this.

My only reservation is the extensive use of Dominican Spanish slang. Although I could usually infer the effect Diaz was after, there were times when I felt a little in the dark. Nearly all the words and phrases that flummoxed me were NOT in my Spanish/English dictionary.

But the book is wonderful. He brilliantly covered all three of my "must have" bases. Incredible story, complex characters, and masterful prose.

This novel is a heart-wrenching experience. The poster child for a modern tragedy.

Finally, if you like historical fiction, Junot Diaz takes the genre a little further. His footnotes pull double duty in that they help to solidify the settings and make the readers perspective deep and personal, as well as give you an a la carte history lesson in Dominican politics and culture.

Do NOT let yourself expire before you read this book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

10/04/2016 marked as: read

Alexander Weber I don't get it... How do people come away from this book taking it seriously? I found it fun, and I liked the footnotes on history. But ultimately I cared little for the characters and what was happening to them. I found the hyper-hip writing to be a novelty not worth my time...

Alexander Weber Although, interestingly enough, this book really seems to divide people