Jennifer's Reviews > The Fairy-Tale Detectives

The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, fairy-tales, read-in-2012, library, audiobook, read-in-2018
Read 2 times. Last read August 13, 2018 to September 14, 2018.

Two stars because "it was ok" pretty much sums up my feelings about this book. I really thought I would enjoy it more than I did. I love the premise, that fairy tales are true. The stories written down by The Brothers Grimm were real accounts. I like that the fairy tale creatures are called "Everafters". There were several things that reminded me of the TV show, "Once Upon a Time", which I also loved (at least for the first few seasons). I even like that Buckley pulls in other fictional characters from The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland.

So if my lack of enjoyment is due to the fact that it's really written (down) to younger audiences or what. Another reviewer commented that the first chapter reminded her of The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, which I really didn't like, so maybe that has something to do with it. And Sabrina, the older sister, was a really annoying character for at least the first half of the book.

I might have enjoyed this series when I was in elementary school. But since I'm not, I don't know if I will read the next book in the series. I know there are several more of them that are also available on audio through my library (which is how I read this one). So we shall see. It's certainly not a high priority though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fairy-Tale Detectives.

February 27, 2012 – Started Reading