Paromjit's Reviews > The Chain

The Chain by Adrian McKinty

F 50x66

bookshelves: crime-fiction, mystery, netgalley, thriller

Adrian McKinty has never written a book I have not loved, and this intense, dark psychological thriller is just brilliant with its killer and diabolical premise of the chain. 35 year old Rachel Klein is a divorced single mother, with 13 year old daughter, Kylie, living on Plum Island, Massachusetts. She has survived the devastating trauma and treatment of breast cancer, and horror of horrors, it now appears to have returned. You think this is hitting rock bottom and surely Rachel has experienced all the bad luck possible? But something far worse is to hit her and Kylie. Kylie has been abducted from the bus stop, and Rachel gets a call from a stranger telling her she is now part of the chain, a chain that she will never be free of, where the consequences of breaking the chain are too dreadful to contemplate.

Not only does it have Rachel desperately scrabbling around to find the ransom money, she finds herself in a predicament that has her becoming acquainted with a side of herself that is nothing less than monstrous, can she survive what she has to do and what it will turn her into? This is what the chain does to a family, and Kylie too is tainted by it, with the two of them forced to dwell in a hell that brings with it the consequent never ending mental health issues, for they can never speak of what is happening to them, under a surveillance they can never escape. Rachel is helped by her brother in law, 40 year old Pete, an ex-marine engineering officer, currently unemployed and an opiate addict. Faced with the wreckage that comprises her family, Rachel dreams of breaking and destroying the chain.

McKinty writes a riveting story with some great characterisation that captures the pressures faced by Rachel and Kylie, the unravelling of their lives and the difficulties of surviving what happens to them. Rachel once again has to undergo the debilitating cancer treatment, but none of this puts her off her inner need to ensure no-one else ever has to be tortured by being part of the chain again. This is a totally engrossing read, it had me fearfully turning the pages, wondering where it would all end. A novel that I think most crime fiction and thriller fans will love. Highly recommended. Many thanks to Orion for an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chain.

June 8, 2019 – Started Reading
June 8, 2019 – Shelved
June 8, 2019 – Shelved as: crime-fiction
June 8, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
June 8, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
June 8, 2019 – Shelved as: thriller
June 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

message 1: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Nice review and sound so good. 🤗

Peter Wonderful insightful review, Paromjit. Delighted to see it's a really great read, as I've just received it from Orion. Now I'm really looking forward to it. :):)

message 3: by Beata (new)

Beata Grand review, Paromjit🌼

message 4: by Lyn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyn Caglio Great review, Paromjit. Can’t wait to read this. I’m a huge McKinty fan - absolutely love his Sean Duffy series.

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fab review Paromjit, hearing great things about this one 🤗

Paromjit Thank you all for your lovely comments, Dem, Peter, Beata, Lyn, and Maureen....Peter, hope you enjoy....Lyn, I too am a huge fan.....so appreciated! 🥰🥰🥰

message 7: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin (from Long Island, NY) This books sounds absolutely terrifying to me! Great review though.. I think i will give it a try. 😳😂

message 8: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni I have read and loved most of McKinty's crime novels but this sounds like something of a departure from his usual subject area, so I'm very intrigued by your review.

Paromjit Thank you, Erin.....I think you will enjoy this! 😁😁😁

Paromjit Anni, I prefer his crime series but the truth is that he is good at the psychological thriller too.

message 11: by leslie hamod (new) - added it

leslie hamod Parumjit! My dear stop texting me to add more books! Great review!😘😘

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Your reviews are always top notch, Paromjit!

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Paromjit what a wonderful and intiguing review.
You really capture the book's essence. Because of your glowing review I have just requested it.

I am going to read this author's other books. Thanks for the recommendation.
I hope all is well in the UK.
Xo

Paromjit Thank you so very very much, leslie, Kevin and Karen....Kevin, you’re a splendid human being and Karen..... you’re such a sweetheart, although the UK is a political basket case!...leslie, Apologies for adding to your reading woes! 💜💞💜

message 15: by James (new)

James Thane Great review, Paromjit. I'm a huge fan of McKinty's work; really looking forward to this one.

message 16: by Thomas (new) - added it

Thomas Great review. I was declined for this book.

Paromjit Thank you, James and Thomas....l am so sorry to hear that, Thomas. :)

Elyse  Walters Thanks Paromjit
Read Peter’s scary review-now yours.
Never heard of this author until you two guys both gave this 5 stars...
Both FANTASTIC reviews!!!

Thanks thanks thanks

Marialyce Wonderful review and I think I need to add this one to the pile.

Paromjit Marialyce wrote: "Wonderful review and I think I need to add this one to the pile."

Elyse wrote: "Thanks Paromjit
Read Peter’s scary review-now yours.
Never heard of this author until you two guys both gave this 5 stars...
Both FANTASTIC reviews!!!

Thanks thanks thanks"

Thank you masses, dearest dearest Elyse and Marialyce........so much appreciated! 💜💞💜💞

message 21: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Sounds like a psychological thriller not to be missed. Fab review, Paromjit. 💜

message 22: by leslie hamod (new) - added it

leslie hamod Absolutely wonderful dear Parumjit! Adding this!😘

Paromjit Thank you very much, Ann and leslie.....so so very very much appreciated! 🖤💞🖤💞

message 24: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review!!

Paromjit Many many thanks, Deanna. :)

message 26: by Bibi (new)

Bibi Another one on the to-read list. Thanks for the review.

message 27: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Great review. I'll be starting this today. McKinty is a must read author for me.

Paromjit Thank you so much, Bibi and Gary.....look forward to seeing what you think, Gary and hope you enjoy, Bibi! 😎😎

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie This book is so popular. Terrific review, Paromjit! ☺

Paromjit Thank you, dearest friend......and it’s so good! :)

message 31: by Linda (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda Harris Another book I am going to read on your recommendation ☺️

Paromjit Hope you enjoy, Linda! 😘

Somethingsnotright Adrian McKinty is one of my fave authors. I love the Sean Duffy series so much. I am reading The Chain now and loving it.

Paromjit Hope you enjoy this, S....look forward to seeing what you think! 😘