Crowinator's Reviews > Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Feb 27, 2012

bookshelves: arcs, booklist-review, ya, fantasy, 2012-reads, folklore-myths-legends, vicarious-smoochies, retellings
Read from February 27 to March 08, 2012

**No spoilers for plot, though I've gone and discussed the tone of the ending, which might be considered a spoiler to some.**

"Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win. In some places, there is something ultimately good about endings. In Neverland, that is not the case."

This is the story of the thorny romance between Peter Pan and Tiger Lily, before and after the arrival of Wendy Darling in Neverland. Even with that opening above, I didn't expect this to be so . . . sad. So infused with loneliness and lost love and tragedy. It's beautifully written, and Anderson's re-working of the Peter Pan legend (including many key moments we should all recognize but are woven in subtly) is unconventional and surprisingly realistic. Tiger Lily is such a captivating, complex character in this version, and so is Peter Pan, Tik Tok (her adoptive father), Hook, and especially Tink, the narrator, who as a mute fairy has developed a empathetic kind of telepathy that allows her to see into others' basic thoughts and feelings (a neat trick that makes for a robust story with multiple perspectives, though centered on Tiger Lily). But I'm left with this melancholy, wistful feeling of regret. I suppose changing, like growing up and growing old, has an inherent sadness to it, especially when told from the POV of those being left behind, and I had forgotten that that concept is at the heart of all Peter Pan stories.

Tink says at one point, "Sometimes love means not being able to bear seeing the one you love the way they are, when they're not what you hoped for them." That's sort of how I feel about this book. This isn't a criticism, so much as an observation -- it's a very affecting read, but one that left me with a lingering sadness at how it turned out, even though it was in some respects a perfect ending.

And now I've gone and jumped this ahead of some of my other books that needs reviews, just to capture this weird feeling. I may do another, fuller review later when I've taken care of those others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger Lily.

03/08/2012 page 73
29.0% "I should be much farther along in this book, but I'm behind behind behind! I will finish it tonight though, come hell or high water, whatever that means."
04/01/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Oh good! Wendy D is happy to see four stars. :D

Crowinator I went back and forth on my rating just because of the sadness, but ultimately I thought this was very good. Wendy Darling, you should read this, though you are not the star of this book and don't really come into the story until later. (c:

message 2: by Rogier (new) - added it

Rogier Crowinator wrote: "I went back and forth on my rating just because of the sadness, but ultimately I thought this was very good. Wendy Darling, you should read this, though you are not the star of this book and don't ..."

lol
it sounds awesome

Artemis My sentiments exactly!! :))