Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper

The Five by Hallie Rubenhold

Ever since I was a kid -- like, 8-9 years old -- I've had an interest in Jack the Ripper. I get a bit bored by the theories about who he is and all of that. Maybe it's because I don't care since, well, it's likely never going to be solved at this point. I've been interested in his profile and the women he killed. My favorite book about Jack the Ripper is The Complete History of Jack the Ripper, which goes in depth about what he did to the women and some of their lives. But it leaves me wanting more since I just want to know who the women were.

And then this book came along! While it relies a lot on supposition -- such as parents professions or what they did or how they lives their lives since, you know, with some of the five there weren't great records of their lives -- I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so refreshing to see things debunked. Like, they were all sex workers. That's not true. One woman was definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time. Another might have been the same way since she did sex work, but as the mistress of one man.

It was, really, just a very refreshing read because it showed them in a different light, not what everyone has thought them of until this point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five.

June 7, 2019 – Started Reading
June 7, 2019 – Shelved
June 7, 2019 – Shelved as: brit-kerfuffle
June 7, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-nonfiction
June 7, 2019 – Shelved as: nonfiction
June 7, 2019 – Shelved as: true-crime
June 8, 2019 –
page 299
88.99% "Never updated this, but I did read it! Very enjoyable and RTC!"
June 8, 2019 – Shelved as: wish-list